Monday, April 16, 2012

Adopt-a-Grandparent: A Mutually Beneficial Relationship

“How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?” –Satchel Paige

I never expected that some of my best friends in college would be over four times older than me. My participation in the Adopt-a-Grandparent program has been full of surprises, and I can honestly say that I’ve learned an unbelievable amount from the three ladies that I visit every week. Each week, I gain insight into what life was like when in the Ripon area decades ago. What I find surprising is that the local history shared by these ladies reveals both unimaginable differences and unexpected similarities to what life is like now in our community – and even on campus! For example, I have learned alternative means of overcoming deep snow while commuting to school, such as ice-skating along the ditch or riding a thrasher through the fields, but I have also learned of the constancy of the unique relationships between Ripon College students and members of the community.

More than anything else, however, I have learned the mutuality of a program such as Adopt-a-Grandparent. When the program is described, it seems that the mission of volunteers is to offer a service to older adults by providing them with company and social stimulation on a weekly basis. In actuality, however, the program benefits both older adults and volunteers. My experiences with the program have provided me with a sense of friendship, purpose, and solidarity. To be perfectly honest, I look forward to our weekly meetings just as much as my residents do. My participation in the program has brought me the opportunity to share stories, joy, and experiences with three lovely women in particular, as well as with the greater population of residents of Prairie Place. Through weekly conversations and large events, such as the Christmas party and Sweetheart Dance, I have earned a greater respect for older Americans, as well as a deeper understanding of the similarities that we all share as a part of the human experience.

                                                                                      --Andrea Slosser, Elder Empowerment Intern
                                                                                        Ripon College Office of Community Engagement


Want to Know More? RC Students Share Their Experiences: 
RC volunteer Rachell Pachniak delivers
halloween treats to the residents at Prairie Place
Rachell Pachniak
I started volunteering at Prairie Place to get philanthropy hours for my sorority; however, speaking with the residents has turned into a highlight of my week. I have learned so much about the history of Ripon from my residents, and I have begun to truly care about them. I make a point of visiting one of my residents especially every week. She looks so pleased to see me and have company. We play double solitaire or find a few words in a word search. She lets me know about her family, and as I am about to leave she makes sure I take some of the caramel popcorn or pretzels that she enjoys making. I even got a call from her son, a coach at the local high school, thanking me for spending time with his mother and claims she is always talking about "that college girl" who visits her. I can't wait to continue my time volunteering at Prairie Place next semester.

Sherri Krier

I just started as an Adopt-a-Grandparent intern at Prairie Place a couple of weeks ago. When I first saw the inside of the building, it was very comfortable and welcoming. Every Wednesday afternoon, our group of Ripon college volunteers go together to Prairie Place assisted living to visit our assigned residents. The volunteers talk to their resident and have a nice visit with them before we leave. This brings happiness to everyone involved and brightens everyone’s day. I do not yet have assigned residents, but I look forward to next week having my own group of people to visit and to look forward to seeing every week. So far I have been going to visit the residents with our coordinator, Andrea Slosser. It seems like a wonderful volunteer opportunity for anyone who loves to be around other people and has extra time on their hands to give back to their community. 
Rachel Groff visits with a friend at Prairie Place

Rachel Groff
Visiting Prairie Place has been a wonderful experience. We are able to visit with residents from different areas of Wisconsin and even some residents that have worked for our college. They have wonderful stories to share (such as knowing Harrison Ford when he went to Ripon College) and are fun to visit with.


Rachel Wedeward
I started volunteering at Prairie Place regularly this semester. I come almost every Wednesday, to meet with my residents. However, the moment that I would like to reflect on was my first time ever coming to Prairie Place. The first time I came to Prairie Place was for their Sweetheart’s Dance, celebrating Valentine’s Day. It was one of the cutest events, I think Prairie Place could have put on. They had an old big band and swing band there, and they invited families of residents to come. I thought it was really sweet that a lot of residents wanted to dance with me, even if they were wheel chair bound. A majority of the residents and parents thanked me for the taking the time to come to their dance. I thought everyone was so heart-warming, I thought the staff was excellent in planning the event, as well as their passion for the residents. Seeing everyone, from the families to the staff, made me want to continue volunteering at Prairie Place.

Eric Seiler 
When I first decided to volunteer with the adopt-a-grandparent program I did not know what to expect. I'm not the most talkative person so I feared that a lack of conversation was imminent. After my first visit I learned that I really didn't have anything to worry about. All of my residents were, and still are, incredibly social and never seem to run out of things to say! It always makes me smile when they tell me how much they appreciate "those college kids" that come in to visit them. You can tell how much they enjoy our company and that our visits are a highlight of their week. Perhaps the most enjoyable aspect of the adopt-a-grandparent program is having the residents tell you about their lives. It truly is an eye-opening experience hearing about what they had to overcome in and what they still hope to do in their lives. I never anticipated how much fun this program could be, and I am incredibly grateful that I took advantage of this opportunity to meet some of the most interesting and caring people I now know.

Want to Participate? 
If you're interesting in taking part in the Adopt-a-Grandparent program or finding out more about how you can get involved in your community, contact Andrea Slosser at slossera@ripon.edu or the Office of Community Engagement at oce@ripon.edu.